“There is a rubber-meets-the-road quality to learning something – anything – and Cliff is supplying me with exactly that. Step by step, brick by brick, the only way to learn something.”
Joe Marcuse – New York, USA
Online guitar and ukulele lessons
Online Guitar and Ukulele lessons via Google Video Hangout or Skype with Cliff Smith, BMus(Hons)
I give online guitar lessons, ukulele lessons and music theory lessons via Google Video Hangout or Skype. This service is available to pupils anywhere in the world.
I currently have pupils in New York, Chicago, Texas, Tokyo, Madrid, Sweden and the U.K. Don’t worry about the time or currency differences, I will deal with that side of things.
We will be able to see and hear each other and your lesson notes will be emailed to you prior to your lesson, or shortly afterwards for any new topics covered during the lesson.
The benefits of online guitar and ukulele lessons:
- Save time and money on travelling
- Have lessons from the comfort of your own home
- Have lessons when you are on the move (stuck at the office or on a business trip etc)
Video extract from online lesson
- Arrange your lesson with me by phone or email
- Once the lesson has been arranged, I will send you a PayPal payment request
- You must pay for your lesson at least 48 hours in advance otherwise it will be cancelled. Lesson fees are non-refundable
- I will send you a link to click on (for Google Video Chat), or call you via Skype at your designated lesson time – please make sure that you are logged in!
If you have something in particular that you would like to work on, please let me know in advance of your lesson so that I can prepare any PDF worksheets I may need to email to you. I usually email any PDFs before your lesson.
During the lesson we will be able to see and hear each other. If possible, please test your video and sound in advance of your lesson and find a position where I will be able to see both of your hands on screen at the same time.
You will need
- A working internet connection
- A webcam* with sound (we need to be able to see and hear each other)
- Your instrument – please tune it in advance if possible
- A computer, tablet, smartphone or similar device with the latest version of Skype installed, or a free Gmail account if we are using Google Video Hangouts. Both services are free to use
- The ability to open PDF files. Adobe Reader is free to download and use
* If you do not have a webcam, I can still teach you music theory via the text chat function on Skype/Google. This works quite well as you can save the conversation as a text file and recap it at a later date.
For additional information, see video calling on Skype.
What you see
What I see
In my online guitar lessons, I can teach you acoustic, electric or classical guitar. I teach most styles from beginner to advanced level.
If you have something in particular to work on, just ask. We can cover many topics in my online guitar lessons, including:
- Neck knowledge
- Styles and songs
- Music theory
- Lead and Improvisation
- Plectrum and fingerstyle
- Exams (optional!)
In my online ukulele lessons I can teach you most styles and any size of ukulele, from beginner to advanced level.
If you have something in particular to work on, just ask. We can cover many topics in my online ukulele lessons, including
- Posture – how to hold your ukulele properly!
- Strumming with thumb and fingers
- Fingerpicking and rolls
- Songs and pieces
- Ukulele for guitarists
Online music theory lessons also work very well over the text chat function of Skype. I will give you the lesson live, in text.
During my online music theory lessons you can ask questions etc and save the conversation for review at a later date. Topics covered include:
- Melody and harmony
- Keys, scales and chords
- Reading music
- "Overall, I was surprised at how well the lesson worked over Skype. I’ve had a few lessons from you, but then I moved and travelling would take far too long. So I looked elsewhere for a more local tutor. I knew you did Skype lessons, but I wasn’t sure about it, because I thought they would be awkward, and not very useful. Happily I turned out to be wrong. I found the lesson to be as enjoyable and worthwhile as the lessons in person. I have to say, it surpassed my expectations by a long way. Also, it’s perfect for me as I can’t justify weekly lessons, I’ll just get the odd lesson when I feel I need one. "Andrew MalpassLondon
- "Skype lessons are a great way of keeping up momentum, especially when it hasn’t been possible to go to Cliff’s studio. Cliff always sends lesson material well in advance of the lesson and, as ever, gives a detailed breakdown of each component of the song and runs through each part. It’s different to being taught in the studio as you can’t play sections together. Cliff runs through a section and then you repeat it. The quality of teaching is still brilliant and as ever Cliff’s patience and ability to help you break down the song and then put it back together is excellent. "Wendy FranksLondon
- "I’ve been trying to learn a song by Lindsey Buckingham (Big Love, acoustic). If you’re familiar with his style of playing you’ll appreciate his picking and, particularly, his thumb rhythm is somewhat tricky. I contacted Cliff for some advice and we set up a Skype session which has given me a great shove to dissecting and playing this song. Tips and insights into my own playing are just a bonus. "Michael McCleaveSweden